Sunday, June 9, 2013
The Birth
Baby number two was so much easier than baby number one, let me tell ya. We woke up bright and early at 5:50 am so that we could make it to the hospital by 7. My parents were kind enough to watch Elena so we dropped her off on the way to the American Fork hospital.
Once I got in my sexy hospital gown, my nurse Cherie spent the next hour asking me questions and filling me in on her life story. She was quite the chatterbox! They finally started my Pitocin around 8:30 and I quickly fell asleep. After an hour or so the contractions were strong enough that they were waking me up from my nap, so I decided to get an epidural. I'm all about the no pain approach. I slept very well after getting the epidural because my legs felt all warm and tingly. I was asleep in the same position for so long that my right leg stayed numb until after 8 that night.
It didn't seem like I was progressing very fast so I assumed I might be there a while, when suddenly I jumped from a 5 to a 7 and then a half hour later I was a 9 and a half. I was starting to get a little uncomfortable so this time I gave my self another dose of the epidural so that it wouldn't wear off as quickly as it did with Elena. About ten minutes later my doctor and another nurse came in and they had me start pushing. Instead of pushing for an hour and a half, Ian popped out after only 5 minutes or so. So easy! I had them plop him up on my stomach all gooey and everything and I helped wipe him down. Last time I had them clean off Elena first, but I liked holding him right away a lot better. Luckily it didn't hurt when they pushed on my stomach because I had so many drugs in my system and so the only adverse side effect to giving birth was a little fatigue. I did almost fall on my face when the nurse transferred me from the wheelchair to the bed. Another nurse offered to help, but she said that I was great at pivoting and she would be fine. Apparently my pivoting skills ran out and she had to catch me and hobble over to the bed with me. It was the weirdest feeling ever to have no control of my legs.
The rest of the day was spent showing off Ian to both our parents, my sister Stephanie, and Elena. Elena was so cute with Ian. She kissed his head several times and said brother for the first time ever. So sweet! She did need a little mommy time on her own, but that was ok with me. She's still my little baby as well.
And now for the stats: Ian was born at 2:29 pm, weighing 6 lbs 12 oz, and was 19 inches long.













Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay! That's such a great story!
ReplyDeleteGlad it was so easy for you. Fingers crossed mine will be easy too! :P
ReplyDelete