Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The great ink tragedy of 2012

Our printer ran out of ink, and even though we don't print too much, we still needed new ink so we could have hard copies when we needed them.  I saw online how to get just the replacement ink, as opposed to whole new cartridges, and how you used a syringe to put the new ink into the old cartridges.  Getting the replacement ink is much cheaper than buying whole new cartridges, and I thought to myself, being the amazing tech guy that I am, putting this new ink into the cartridges would be a cinch.  Turned out I was wrong.  

I replaced the ink in the black pigment cartridge without a problem.  I followed the directions perfectly, I put the right amount of ink in there, everything was great.  Then I got to the cyan cartridge.  Chantale thought it looked fun to use the syringe to put the ink in the cartridges, so she wanted to refill cyan.  Before you start thinking Chantale caused the ink tragedy, realize it was my fault, because we were supposed to put 5 ml of ink into the much bigger black cartridge, but the cyan ink was only supposed to have 3 ml.  I was an idiot, and told her to put in 5 ml assuming it would be the same for each cartridge, and that's where everything went wrong.  Ink started spilling out of the cartridge like crazy, but thankfully we had newspapers down to catch it.  I tried salvaging the cartridge and the rest of the ink, but ended up making it worse and spilling it all over my hands.  So, we soaked those newspapers in cyan ink, and because the cyan cartridge was such a mess I didn't dare use it again for fear it would leak out of the printer and spill all over the carpet, so I ended up chucking it.  We did end up getting one solitary drop on the carpet, which caused us great distress.  However, rubbing alcohol works really well for getting ink out of the carpet, which saved my cheeks.  

If you've ever gotten printer ink on your skin, you know how awful it is to get it off.  I was scrubbing my hands with dish soap and hot water for around 30 minutes before I finally got the majority of the ink off of them.  Let this be a lesson to all who tread the path of ink refilling. 

- Mike Christensen








No comments:

Post a Comment